Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 6: Almond Cake Bars

Growing up, my mom made these cookies for her cookie tins every year. It's an old family recipe, passed down from my great-uncle Fran and probably even someone before him.





As a child, I always turned my nose up at these... why would I bother eating the plain-looking bar cookie with nuts? There were chocolate and sprinkle-covered cookies to be eaten!




However, a few years ago when I was home on break from college, I decided to give one of these a try, not expecting much. I don't know what I was thinking... because these are now one of my absolute favorites.


Chock-ful of almond flavor, these bar cookies are almost like an almond-flavored version of a brownie. My Business Man couldn't keep his hands out of the container, and that's sayin' a lot, because he's not the biggest sweets person. (Unlike myself... the girl who must eat dessert everyday. Sometimes even twice a day.)




Lesson learned... never judge a book cookie by its cover appearance.

And a note - you must use margarine! I wanted to replace it with butter, but at the strict encouraging of my mom, I didn't. Quote (as she read me the recipe over the phone): "It specifically says on the recipe DO NOT USE BUTTER!" So you'll have to buy some margarine for this cookie.

Almond Cake Bars


  • 1 cup margarine
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 egg, separated
  • ½ cup almond paste
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup sliced almonds

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.

In mixing bowl, blend margarine and sugar until smooth. Add egg yolk and beat until smooth. Add almond paste and almond extract; beat until smooth. Add flour and beat until just combined.

Spread batter into prepared pan; it will be thick. Beat remaining egg white until foamy, and brush onto bars. Top with sliced almonds; press them in so they will stick.

Bake in 350*F for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and set. Let cool; cut into squares.

Source: Family recipe

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs