Today was a pretty lazy day for my Business Man and I. We actually slept in! (until 8:20, usually on weekends we still wake up around 7!)
After a lazy morning of coffee-sipping and scone-eating, we headed out to church. (We go here!) When church let out, it was snowing! Naturally, I decided to go for a run.
Running in the snow is actually very peaceful and soothing, as long as it's not too slick. I haven't been able to run outside much this winter yet, because it's always dark! It's dark before school, and there's only a short window (i.e. 40 minutes) after school when it's still light out. So usually I end up on the treadmill watching re-runs on Friends. Not that that's a bad thing either...
But today, I was totally stoked go for a run outside, in the snow. Now, there's a few necessary clothing items to have an enjoyable run in the snow. If you're not prepared, you will be miserable.
What I wear:
- Long running tights--Having something tight to your skin will keep your warmer than looser pants. Plus, when it's really cold you can wear two pairs of pants.
- Dry-fit under shirt--I have a long-sleeve from college (go GC!) that I have been wearing for about 4 years now. It's the perfect under-layer, because the it wicks the sweat away.
- Fleece outer layer--This fleece is super-nice because it has a neck guard. Your neck can get very cold from the wind! (This was a hand-me-down from a good friend! I love it!)
- Mittens/gloves--Mittens are my favorite because my fingers stay warm more easily.
- Headband/hat--Some days I go for the headband, some days the hat. It depends on what type of mood I'm in. Today I rocked the side pony with a hat.